As a first step, there are a number of things you need to think about before taking on the responsibility of premises.
- What is in your governing document about premises? Does it say if you can lease, buy or take out a mortgage on premises?
- What information or evidence have you got that shows that you need new or bigger premises to manage the group?
- Have the Management Committee and Trustees members agreed that premises are needed?
- Have you discussed the risks of taking on premises and the fact that trustees or management committee members are responsible if something goes wrong?
- Do you know how much money you would need to open the premises and keep it going?
- Where would the money come from to keep the premises going?
- Could you share premises with other groups to reduce the overall cost?